Week three of the Sassy Quilter's Traingle QAL brings us to joining those rows. . . I'm going to say it. I STRUGGLED through this! I was kind of surprised. This is not my first triangle quilt. The first one, went together pretty easily when I joined the rows. This one. . . not so much. First I tried gluing instead of pinning. It worked OK but the points were not as consistently 'good' as I would have liked. Then I tried pinning, this time I actually lost a point. Did I rip any of it? No. I am working on taming my inner perfectionist and I decided none of them were so awful that I was going to redo them.
I finally tried pinning AND gluing. . . I put a dab of glue at the point, and then followed Paula's direction of putting the pin through the point of both sides and then pressed both sides together and removed the pin. Time consuming? YES! It did result in a much more consistent ITLLDO (It Will Do my word for 2014) seam. It took me a bit of Friday (I walked away after doing one row, thought maybe it was the day and the point fairies would visit me on Saturday), all day Saturday (on and off, had to walk away on more than one occasion) and part of Sunday. . . . The end result? Well, here it is, as I told my mom, looks great when I'm not standing two feet from it scrutinizing every point... and who else is going to do that but me???? :)
I decided to go with all hexagons. I have probably admitted this before at some point in my blog but I have a control issue :) When I am the one doing the sewing, I'm not a lover of scrappy. I look at other people's scrappy quilts and love them. I might need therapy for this. . . but that can be a topic for another day ;)
We all know I am mathematically challenged and I was a little surprised when this quilt top ended up being exactly square! LOL It's fine, the intent was a large lap quilt (it is 72"x 72") so that's not an issue but in my estimation this should have turned out 10 inches longer. I would have added another row of hexagons but for some reason I ran out of the peacock blue - maybe some triangle trolls came in the middle of the night and stole some of them. . . I had a half yard of each of the colors and cut all of it into triangles (yes, I have a LARGE stack of leftover triangles. . . ) so I should have had the same amount of each color left over. Alas, this was not the case and quite honestly, I am over triangles! I wasn't too upset about not feeling like I 'should' add two more rows :)
So today my plan is to get quilting the Fractured Log Cabin. I'm hoping to have a finish, and maybe two by Friday :)
Linking up with Marelize over at Stitch By Stitch for Anything Goes Monday, Judy over at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday, Connie over at Free Motion by the River for Linky Tuesday and Heather and Meagan over at Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday. Also linking up with Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social and Lee over at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.
Until next time, keep on quilting!