Friday, May 6, 2016

Pixelated Strategy - Finished Flimsy

This flimsy has been finished for awhile. . . I have been enduring harassment by #1 fan to post about it. I promised a post this week so I figured I better get crack-a-lackin' and get this baby posted to make good on that promise ;)

This quilt top is a diversion. I was supposed to be working on . . . hmmm, now I forget! LOL The diversion is ALL Alycia's fault. She has a thing for plaid. She makes gorgeous quilts out of them and I cannot get enough of them! She can't either. . . she is up to 20 something now? Every time I went to her blog and saw another, I got the urge to make one. . . and one day that urge was just too strong and the perfect storm hit, I had the fabric, I had the inspiration, I was between projects and I just started cutting :)

This quilt is made with Pepper Cory's Peppered Cottons and  Brushstrokes. I've had the Peppered Cottons fat quarter bundle for ages. The Brushstrokes bundle fell into my Massdrop cart quite by accident. . . as bundles often do! Now, what to do with them? And then I saw this. . . oh yeah! The minute I saw it I knew I had my inspiration! Now to figure out block size to maximize the use of those beautiful FQs :) My head hurt for awhile due to that pesky quilt math but I went with 3 inch finished squares for a 12" finished block.

A couple in process photos:
First blocks. The purple/mustard color blocks were my test blocks. But they turned out so well I left them in :)
I used the Brushstrokes fabric for the stars and the Peppered Cotton for the background of the stars.
Do you ever change your pictures to black and white to see if you are on the right track for distribution? I typically do this a couple of times during the process.
I strip pieced the 16 patches, very quick! And I chain pieced everything :)

Final layout.
Final layout and all sewn together. . . to border or not to border?
Border. . . more border? At this point I decided I would likely put this quilt on the guest room bed. More border required :)
Alycia does this really cool thing where she puts blocks in a portion of the border of some of her quilts. Love that look! So I decided to give a whirl. The border fabric is Essex Linen, Nautical.
All sewn together! This quilt is TOO BIG for my design wall. Between that and not wanting to take the chance of stretching this top much, I did not take it outside to attempt pictures.

Yes, the pictures suck but I promise, when this quilt is quilted - it will be overly photographed :)
The flimsy is still on the bed. I have been diverted from my diversion. . . I quilted two quilts for Kat's CIL charity, working on a project for the blog hop for Lara's book "Crafted Applique" (click the link for the hop schedule, my day is May 19th!) and I have another top to quilt for CIL that I am seriously excited about! Busy, busy over here!

Linking up to Finish it up Friday! Check out the fab finishes of the many who link up!
Follow on Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. You are one busy lady :) I love that you have documented your progress on this quilt. It's always cool to see how a quilt comes together. And very neat trick converting a picture to black and white to check distribution of shades. I'm going to be setting on the edge of my seat over here waiting to see what everything looks like quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, the name was Strategy... then she decided to add the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a gorgeous diversion you have made!! It's lovely and has come together so quickly. Looking forward to seeing it quilted ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely border, and great way you put the blocks together. B&W photo, a wonderful idea to see if the colour shades are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you added blocks to the border. Nice design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy oh boy do I ever love this one. Such a simple 2 block quilt but looks spectacular! And now you are giving 'me' ideas, I have some shot cotton FQ's that perhaps I should earmark for something like this. So did you decide it that was the right size to cut to make the most of the FQ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that top! Aren't peppered cottons just the best?! Great job with the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great diversion! Love it. Really like how you put blocks in just a portion of the border. Have fun with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd forgotten this WIP. I love seeing it again, and ya, it makes me want to have another DREAMI moment...but I am behaving for the rest of this month. Two items to get done by May 31. Cannot wait for the final reveal of your project for Lara. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like so much fun to put together - really like the border too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very cool looking top...I bet those fabrics just glow in person! I like to do the b/w thing too, it's amazing what I see that I don't in color. Looking forward to seeing your quilting on this,I know it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way those colors pop! And what a great tip about the black and white photo to keep the values evenly distributed. Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh - you crack me up!! I was a good influence!!! I LOVE this quilt - it is beautiful!! and the borders - they just sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taking pictures in black and white is my favourite trick for checking balance - it's amazing how things can pop out at you that you'd never see in colour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the blocks in the border! Great idea, Alycia :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You picked a great way to show off your accidental Mass Drop purchases, LOL. Judy, I love your combination of blocks, fabrics, and layout! Great border treatment too! Love your tip on using B&W photos... silly me I usually forget about that trick and wake up early to look at the design wall in the wee hours of the morning when you can't see much color yet. Can't wait to see how you will quilt this Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great and fits so well on a bed. I had a chuckle when you said you were diverted from your diversion. At least you are productive. I'm procrastinating right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so busy, Judy! I think this looks great and I am glad you took some time to share it with us (ahem, thanks #1 fan!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh this looks like a fun quilt to piece! And quilt! Look forward to seeing the finished pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)