This Giant Star was a bit more of a challenge. Not the pattern, not sewing it together. . . choosing the right fabrics and combinations to make this purple quilt not look feminine . . . Alrighty then ;) I relied heavily on my husband's and #1 fan's opinions. Both agreed they like purple. Good, now I have some testosterone driven opinions to help me muddle through the fabric choices and layout. BTW, speaking of layout, I love this pattern because depending on fabric choices, it really does take on a whole different look. But I digress :)
As for fabric choices, many texts happen between me and my #1 fan and discussions between me and the ever patient husband, bold dark purples and black background. I think it worked! :) I'm just going to show the flimsy today. I don't have it in me to write a post about the flimsy and the finish - I'm still recovering! LOL But check back over the next several days, I'll be posting both finishes. Oh, and for those of you who were wondering. . . no, I was not able to keep the quilting simple. I'll be talking about that more in those finished quilt posts. . . I have learned much about myself and my style over the last couple of weeks! But that is for another post, for now check out this flimsy!
First, let's see the fabric pull and process for picking which would work best.
|Seriously LOVE!! And I have a testosterone driven thumbs up ;) Me: Is it masculine enough? #1 Fan: As masculine as purple is going to get! He's a funny guy isn't he??|
|I took this picture so you could see how spot on the middle points came together :) Check the rest of the post for lessons learned and how I did this on the first try!|
|The back with the sun shining through. . . just love these back of flimsy pictures!!|
|And one more. . . just cuz :)|
1. I cut all of the squares for the HSTs corner to corner prior to sewing. These blocks are big. I cut them at 18.25" and marking the diagonal line down the middle was a bit of a pain with the first one. With this one, I decided I would deal with the bias and just cut it first. This worked out well and made chain piecing these huge blocks a breeze.
2. When I pieced the middle rows together, I started at the middle of the rows where all of the points converge. First I pinned (yes, me, pinning) and then I did a test seam just across where all of the points come together. Checked for perfection (or as close as this quilter gets LOL) and then I sewed the seam from the middle out to one end, then the middle out to the other. It worked well. I did not have to rip it out once. If you are looking for perfection, you might want to give this a try. I don't always want or feel the need for perfection with my points - but on this one I knew that if I was off more than a smidge (technical term), it would be pretty obvious and more importantly, it would bug me to no end! ;)
I finished this flimsy on 12/11. Yes, one day after finishing the blue Giant Star. I decided to quilt this one first. The finished quilt post is coming to your blog feed soon ;)
Finally, since it is Christmas day, I hope you are all having a great holiday season!
Until next time, keep on quilting!!