Friday, November 6, 2015

Q4 Finish #2 - Twirling #2

Be forewarned, this is a picture heavy post!!

This is my second finish on my Q4 FAL list for the Finish Along being hosted by Adrienne over at On the Windy Side. I finished this quilt last week. It is now at its new home. I'll admit it. I had a hard time handing this one over. I think it might be my favorite quilt to date. I had a total blast quilting this quilt. Yes, I quilted it to death but it went surprisingly fast. Very little marking (only the feather spines) and flying by the seat of my pants mostly ;)

In my post about the finished flimsy, I mentioned a mistake and asked if you could find it. . . have a look again, can you find it? Yup, it's still there. . .

The texture. . . Awesome! I swear this quilt is square. . . I obviously need to do some work on getting my photographs to show that!
I used the same thread in the color spiral. King Tut Lapis. I chose a darker thread because I wanted those lighter colors to show a little darker. who knew finding lavender/lighter purples would be such a challenge!
The thread in the gray spiral is Aurifil Poly in French Lilac. The corner design is a portion of a stencil. I used it in all four corners but in the bigger corners chose to use just a portion of the stencil and then fill it with feathers, spirals and paisleys. YLI 40 wt cotton in Plum was used for the larger corners.
This smaller corner is the entire stencil design with some echos.
I could not stop running my hands over this quilt!!
And I obviously couldn't stop snapping pictures either!!
In the gray, I just did a gentle curve alternating directions in the triangles. I had no idea when I started this design how effective it would be! And it was QUICK to quilt - always a bonus! :)
The color portions got feathers, spirals and paisleys. I did mark the spines using my small curved quilting ruler.
I was kinda just digging the way this feather curved around the corner :)
Another full shot for good measure. Did you find the mistake yet?
And the backing. Prisms by Studio E.
That piecing mistake. . . Here's the story. The flimsy hung on my design wall for almost a week before I started quilting. Did I (or my QA dept head, otherwise known as my husband) notice the mistake? No. I didn't notice it until I had quilted over it!! It is there, in the darkest ring on the bottom right. Two purple triangles together. . . I can't even type what came out of my mouth when the realization hit. And the sinking feeling. At this point that portion of the quilt was completely quilted (including ditch stitched) except for the gray solid corner. I stared a long time and emailed a couple trusted quilty friends, Sandra and Yvonne, and asked for their opinions about pulling out the seam ripper or leaving it. After much deliberation, I decided it would be OK if left. BUT, only if my client agreed. I happened to be meeting her for lunch that day. We talked. I showed her the picture. She couldn't find the mistake initially. And then said, do not rip it out. Not going to lie, when I got home, I almost broke out the seam ripper anyway. . . and then the reality set in. . . ripping it out would be a pain, no question. What was questionable was, how is the quilting going to look . . . would I be able to blend it in and make it look like I had not taken stitches back to a spot and then started again. In the end, I decided that the disaster this could become was much greater than the current status of the quilt. So I left it in and after quilting, I think it might be even a little less noticeable :) It's OK, lie to me and tell me you can't see it ;) haha

My client decided she wanted a matching pillow. Yup, I can do that and I have become more than a little smitten with making pillow/cushion covers :) I was going to do a miniature version of the quilt and my head started hurting at the thought of trying to figure out the math AND the thought of working with miniature HSTs. . . that idea was sidelined quickly! Remember those extra squares I cut? Some of them turned into this:


LOVE!! :D Those center squares are 1" finished. YIKES! I have a new respect for all of you quilters out there working and loving piecing with miniature pieces of fabric!

I'm delivering the pillow cover today. I will be sad. Every time I walk by it I have to pet it. It makes me smile :)

So that concludes the show and tell portion of this post :) Item #3 on my FAL list is currently under the needle :) Stay tuned, I'll share the flimsy in a few days. Quilting is going to take a bit. . . You know I couldn't keep it simple ;)

Linking up with Finish it up Friday and with the FAL linky party over at Adrienne's when it goes live :)

Until next time, keep on quilting!!
Follow on Bloglovin


22 comments:

  1. Picture heavy??? No way. These pictures are eye-candy. Thank you for generously sharing them, Judy.
    Beware, the pillow could turn into a family emblem of sorts - the stuff that everyone will fight over, and then the head of the family will decide to frame it to keep peace in the family...Ha Ha HA. Yes my imagination is VIVID!!!
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting is gorgeous! I love the feathers but I think your quilting in the gray triangles is truly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it came together, Judy, and the decision to leave the piecing alone really seems to be the right choice. It looks great and the quilting is awesome. The gentle curves in the gray are so effective at leading my eye through the spiral. And that pillow is awesome! I hope the recipient loves both the quilt and pillow cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please keep your blog posts picture heavy. I get so much inspiration from your pictures. Even with a hint it took me ages to find your mistake. I love the matching pillow. So cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great - I can see it only because I had to look for it - doesn't detract from anything and I love how this has finished up - in awe of your quilting as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly truly couldn't see the mistake until you said and even then I had to go back and stare at it! It looks wonderful and the quilting is incredible:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never found the mistake till you finally pointed me in the direction, not lying either! It looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so beautiful, and I couldn't find the mistake at all! The quilting is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Your quilting is just incredible! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Your quilting us so gorgeous. It makes me want to go quilt something right now. After seeing it all quilted, the little mistake hides even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the purple and your feathers are fantastic! Wonderful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I think it looks great. It really is hard to see. Your quilting is fabulous. I have a respect as well. I am working on a scarecrow log cabin. All the strips are 1 1/2". Over 600! I think I'm nuts.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful work. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I never tire of looking at this quilt! You know, I wonder why so many bloggers, myself included, forewarn people about picture heavy posts...I personally LOVE pics LOTS and LOTS and LOTS. That's what it's all about, staring at lovely finished quilts or in-process quilts or fabric, and gazing at angles and more angles of texture that your gorgeous quilting (LOVE LOVE the feathers) creates...photos? Bring 'em. Oh, those feathers...you know that I'm a feather girl. And then the PILLOW!! I can see why you'd have a hard time letting that baby go, and I love how it just glows in the centre the way you arranged the squares...such depth. Mmm. Thank you for all the eye candy. (and along the way too; I feel special)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Judy, I just started following your blog because I love your machine quilting and your welcome statement. I quilt out of the box, admit to using all sorts of different stuff in my quilts. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a inspiration to me! I knew you would do some fabulous quilting on this and you did! :) I can barely even see the 'mistake' and surely wouldn't even use that word. I really like the quilting in the gray squares - it looks wonderful and what a bonus that it was easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow .... what a wonderful quilt. The quilting is awesome. I must play some more with feathers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful piece---the colors, design and quilting are stunning. And I have to laugh when girls say they can't quilt on a domestic--Yours is stunning! I am referring them to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilting is spectacular Judy! The colors in this quilt and pillow cover are totally yummy. Try as hard as I can and I still cannot spot the piecing mistake you spoke of. It was a really smart call not to rip out the quilting in that area. I bet your client is over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Judy, second finish already! I'm so behind, lol. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That turned out great and I didn't notice the mistake at all. Those colours are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilting looks awesome, Judy! And that bonus pillow sham is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Judy, I would have left that, too. It took me a while to spot it, and that was only because you challenged us to look harder. It really, REALLY doesn't show!!! (I had to work at it). Good call on leaving things and carrying on. Another wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)